An Authority Site
An independent guide to accessing your NHS Medical Records
As a UK citizen you will inevitably
have come into contact with the National Health Service at some point in your
life. The HNS holds medical records of all treatments delivered to you and as
such provides an invaluable healthcare record built up throughout your
Recent changes in the law mean that you now have the right to see your medical records and make corrections to the but the process is not easy and seldom advertised , you may encounter resistance and problems along the way. This site will guide you along the occasionally tricky path to full disclosure and discovery of your full medical history..
- Do I have a right to directly inspect my records?
- What's in them?
- Why should you want to see them?
- Do I have to give a reason for seeking access?
- Where are they held?
- Where are they held if I have no GP?
- How long are they held?
- Who has access to them?
- Why may access by denied?
- What other healthcare records are there?
- What is the procedure to access them?
- Some useful tips
- To whom should I write?
- What are the advantages of applying formally?
- Do I have to prove who I am?
- How long should I expect to wait for an appointment to go into view my medical records?
- How does the surgery/hospital/health authority know which parts of my medical records I need?
- Can I make an application on behalf of someone else?
- Can I get someone else to apply for my medical records?
- Can I make an application on behalf of someone who has died?
- What charges are there?
- What is access is denied?
- How long will it take?
- If I want to see my medical records again, how long do I have to wait until I can re-apply?
- How do I interpret information in them?
- What if something is wrong with my records?
- What do I do if I want to add information to my medical records?
- Do I have to pay to add a note to my medical records?
- How long do I have to wait for my copy of the change?
- What if my medical records have been lost?
- How do I make a complaint?
- How do I complain to the Ombudsman?
- Useful Contacts